Friday, September 27, 2013

Curried Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup (gluten-free, with vegan option!)

 

Fall & winter are great for many reasons, but soup is definitely in the top 3. My favorite food of all time is my mom's homemade chicken noodle soup that takes a full day to make. It has magical healing powers, I kid you not. I'm pretty sure it could heal a broken bone.

To kick off soup season, here is a fairly quick & easy recipe to warm you up. The spices and color got me so amped for fall I went into the grocery store for sugar this week and came out with 2 mums and about 7 mini pumpkins & gourds. I've also just about overdosed on spiced lattes. And I'm just getting started. 

Curried Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup
 
Ingredients:
3 medium to large sweet potatoes 
1 cup carrots, chopped into small pieces
1/2 cup sweet onion, diced 
1/2 of a tart apple, diced
2 cloves garlic
1 can coconut milk (full fat)
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbs garam masala
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp salt 
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves (or 1/4 tsp if you're not as big a fan as I am)
A few sprigs of parsley 
2-3 tbs olive oil

Preparation: Scrub sweet potatoes, pierce each one several times with a fork, and bake in the oven at 400 degrees until tender (about 45 minutes). 

Meanwhile, in a large pot, sauté onion, carrots, apple, and garlic in olive oil over medium heat until tender. Add garam masala, curry powder, and salt and toss to coat the veggies in the spices. Once the potatoes are baked through, scoop their meat out and discard the skins. Add the sweet potato to the other spiced veggies and toss to coat.
 
Add chicken (or veggie) stock and bring to a boil for about 2-3 minutes. Then lower the heat to a simmer, add parsley, and blend soup using an immersion blender. If you are using a standard blender, work in batches until soup is smooth (careful - hot!). Once soup is blended, add coconut milk, ginger, and clove. I used coconut cream for my soup, and so I only added about 3/4 of a can. Feel free to adjust the coconut milk to your creaminess preference. 
 

Simmer for about 5-10 minutes, or until ready to serve. I garnished mine with a bit of cayenne and cinnamon for a kick. 

Stayed tuned for more soups as we head into chilly weather! It really is so good for your soul.
 
Love,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment