Thursday, July 11, 2013

Summer Pasta - 2 Ways!



Sticky, hot days & evenings full of thunder... its summer time & I'm feelin' the heat, people.

One of my favorite foods to eat & cook is pasta. I mean, I thoroughly enjoy many kinds of food, but Italian has its own special place in my heart, as some of my most zen moments have involved a big bowl of pasta, crusty bread, and red wine.

When cooking my own pasta, I tend to stick to heavy red sauces, but since its summer I've really been looking at ways to take the dishes I love and make a lighter version. So recently I've been combining some colorful farfalle pasta with a variety of seasonal veggies, sun-dried tomatoes, oil, and fresh herbs I have growing on my windowsill. And since I've been hooked on goat cheese this year, I sprinkled that in as well. Here are 2 summery pasta dishes that would be great served warm or cold:

Summer Pasta with Spinach, Artichokes & Prosciutto

Ingredients:
3 cups farfalle or "bow tie" noodles (I love the presentation with the multi-color kind!)
Baby spinach
Chopped artichoke hearts
Sun-dried tomatoes
Sweet corn removed from the cob
1 clove garlic, diced
Sweet peas, frozen or fresh
Extra virgin olive oil
Red wine vinegar
Sprinkle of goat cheese
1 or 2 pieces of thin-sliced prosciutto, chopped up into small pieces 
Fresh basil

Summer Pasta with Yellow Zucchini & Sweet Peas

Ingredients:
3 cups farfalle
1 medium yellow (or green!) zucchini, chopped
Sun-dried tomatoes
Sweet corn removed from the cob
1 clove garlic
Sweet peas
Extra virgin olive oil
Red wine vinegar
Fresh basil
Fresh chives
Sprinkle of goat cheese
Sprinkle of parmesan cheese too

For both recipes, I cooked the farfalle noodles according to the package's instructions, then set aside to cool. I then heated the olive oil over medium heat and slowly sauteed the garlic until it was heated through and tender, but not brown. I then added all my veggies to the oil and heated through until tender. Then I set that aside to cool to room temperature as well. I drizzled the farfalle with olive oil and red wine vinegar and tossed until the noodles were coated. Then I gently folded in the sauteed veggies, and topped the pasta with the fresh herbs, prosciutto, and goat cheese. I stored leftovers in the fridge in an air-tight container, and then enjoyed it cold the next day for lunch. Yum!


I left the measurements for these recipes off, because I feel that you should go heavy on the ingredients you particularly like, and easy on those you don't like as much. And get creative by tossing in whatever extra ingredients you're craving. Pasta is fun because of the variety it offers!

Enjoy!

Love,
Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment